2012.. Jen's year to become fit and fab

Hi Guys,

My name is Jennifer but I go by Jen and I'm not really good at keep journals like this

But my goal is to be consistent because of the New Years Challenge.. I was lucky

Enough to be paired up with a mentor on this program.. Michelle.. Yay, so excited.

A little about me.. I'm a Southern Girl and live on the Southeastern Coast of GA, where the

Winters are warm and the summers are hot and steamy and I have access to a beach

365 days a year.. Unfortunately, there are not many vegans and vegetarians in my

Neck of the woods and I get strange looks when I proudly where my vegan tshirts and

I get told that I'll never be able to build muscle on a plant based diet but I'm here

To prove all those meatheads at the gym wrong.. I've been vegetarian and more recently

Vegan for about 10 years now.. I never really liked the taste of meat and could go weeks without eating it and I watched some of the Videos on the PETA website and well that did it for me..

I'm 36 years old soon to be 37 on the 24th of this month and now more then ever I understand the importance of good heath and exercise.. I'm 5'6 and weigh between 133 and 135 pounds.. I would like to loose about 5 or 6 pounds but more importantly I would like to drop some body fat and then build some muscle. I've been lifting and running for about 8.5 years now.. I have probably started and stopped every program known to man.. From Body for life, New Rules of Lifting and various programs that I've lifted from popular bodybuilding sites. My problem is I get bored half way through and start something else.. Through all my trials and errors though, I have found that I like a four day split the best.. So this time around I've decided to keep things simple and follow the split outlined in Robert Cheek's Vegan bodybuilding.. I'm on my second week and so far so good.. I really like it and I think I can adapt it to my busy lifestyle..

Ok.. Sorry this was so long and I apologize for any grammar errors. I don't have internet at home right now so I'm using my phone to type this..

Today's workout Back and abs

Assisted pullups 3x12

Bb Rows 3x12

Dead lift 3x12

Seated cable rows 3x12

SB straddle and reach 3x20

Cable rope pulldowns 3x20

Mountain climbers 3x20

Skipped cardio today because I was lacking the motivation (what a way to start off the new year lol)

Food:

So far today

Meal one vega shake with almond milk and spinach

Meal two. Smart life veggie bacon and half of a bagel

Meal three veggie tacos with lettuce, tomato, boca crumbles and dayia cheese..

I eat way too much processed food and one of my goals is too eliminate that and focus more on whole foods..

That's it for now.. Happy NEW YEAR!!!

Day two..

Today was cardio day so I opted to go to the gym and run hill sprints on the TM for 45 minutes.. Mission accomplished.. The gym wasn't has crowded as I thought but there was still a good bit of people there..

Meals

Meal one vega with spinach

Meal two vega again with a banana (post workout)

Meal three tofu hotdogs on pumpernickle bread..

Meal 4 plans are pumpkin spice oatmeal

Meal 5 plans are quinoa and chickpea pilaf..

My goal is to get a gallon of water in today.. So I better keep drinking cause I'm not even half way there.. Its cold here today so its hard to drink water when its cold..

Back to work tomorrow.. I'm actually looking forward to it..I like my daily routine.. It keeps me on track..

Day 4.

Rest day. Still chugging along. I've been swamped at work and wasn't able to update yesterday. So far Ive been compliant on my diet and training. I need to work on the water though. It's hard for me to drink when it's so cold out. But it will be flip flop weather this weekend so water won't be a problem.

Thanks for checking in, Jen.

I realize it's very difficult to drink water when it's so cold!! But I cannot stress this enough: adequate water intake is critical to achieving your goals. Not only does being even slightly dehydrated cause you to retain water and look puffy (the body's attempt to rehydrate itself), but it can actually decrease your metabolism. Try drinking water at room temperature, or drink it hot with a squeeze of lemon or lime in it (but no sweeteners or any other flavorings, not even the zero-calorie stuff).

When you get a chance, email me with a breakdown of what you're eating, total daily macros (grams of protein, fat, carbs), and what your daily weights have been. Thanks!

Keet at it...day by day and step by step...that's how it's done...

It's been a long emotional day for me It turns out my marriage is a sham.. enough about that because I want to keep my personal life away from my fitness life.

I could have done some emotional eating today but I stuck with my plan so at least I have something to be proud of

Today was leg day

Leg extensions 5x5

Squats 5x5

Leg Press 5x5

Single leg Dumbbell deadlift 5x5

SLD 5x5

Calf raise 3x20

Tomorrow is a new day and i hope to start it off with some butt kicking cardio

I'm so sorry, Jen! But kudos to you for not giving in to emotional eating. You should be very proud of yourself for that!!! (Big hug!)

I know it's difficult. But try to channel your (not so pleasant) emotions into your fitness and nutrition. Make a vow to yourself to come out of all of this healthier, stronger (emotionally and physically), and looking better than ever.

When you feel up to it, touch base with me.

Again, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Hugs!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...