Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

485479_10151363576810474_1551121252_n.jpg

START OF MIDNIGHT TRAIL RUN IN THE PORT HILLS

935429_10151363577590474_1085131430_n.jpg

COOL PHOTO, THIS IS ACTUALLY ME RUNNING PAST THE CAMERA. THE LIGHT IS FROM MY HEADLAMP AS I RUN PAST

923459_10151363578265474_1172206392_n.jpg

THE UPHILL BEFORE WE LOST THE TRACK AND ENDED UP COMPLETELY OFF-COURSE

65661_10151363578585474_27249472_n.jpg

TAKEN IN THE PITCH BLACK OVERLOOKING GOVERNORS BAY. CAMERA SETTING MADE IT LOOK LIKE DAWN, BUT THE LIGHTS BELOW GIVE IT AWAY

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn dude, night running looks pretty sick! That "headlamp" photo is really cool! You probably needed a pretty long exposure time for those night shots on the trail?

Thanks, yeah it really is great fun. My training partner laughs because I take a bag of fruit with me on the longer runs ~ pears seem to work really well for both nutrition and hydration.

No idea about the exposure, I'll have to ask my training partner as he's the photographer not me. I haven't got a clue about that kind of stuff!

This week is my recovery week for running, so the km's will be lower to allow my system to absorb the previous weeks as well as letting my immune system and CNS to not become compromised. I've only ran a couple of times so far this week, this afternoon I'll hopefully head out for around 1.5hrs then tomorrow I'll do an easy long run, probably 30-35km.

Have started taking a 100% pure blackcurrant powder (see pic below), I'm taking 2 x teaspoons a day. One in the morning over my oats or muesli and the second serving I'm adding to my protein shake (usually have this post run).

I'm also vegan now for 6 days of the week (one night in the week my wife cooks a fish dish for all of our family). Pretty happy I'm finally almost there, she's not wanting me to turn completely vegan as she thinks I should make that transition when the girls are a little older ~ I can respect her opinion enough to agree to that condition.

Last night we had takeaways so I had my favourite from our local vegan restaurant, spicey mushroom balls, veges, cashew nuts and coconut rice

1603674577_Spiceymushroomballs.jpg.05ce7cef5d70ed56d393e7a4c4332507.jpg

Dinner, yummo

101591931_Blackcurrantpwd.jpg.dad6c99e3c5f47ea908d7ebac5e94c20.jpg

My secret weapon haha

MON: REST

TUE:

AM: 9km in 54.00 (ave 10kph)

PM: 17km in 1:41 (ave 10.1kph)

WED: REST

THU: REST

FRI: 14km in 1:20 (ave 10.5kph)

SAT: 12km in 1:14 (ave 9.73kph)

SUN: 33.9km in 3:40 (ave 9.25kph) ~ midnight forest run with training partner Jono

TOTAL: 85.9km

Good week of running as I inch ever closer to getting up to my 100km training week. The Sunday night run was pretty cool and for that distance that pace felt deceivingly quick, I started feeling quite nauseous around the 30km mark and by the time I got back I was pretty wasted

Made a delicious raw wrap yesterday for a late lunch. Consisted of yellow capsicum, carrot, mushroom and spicy pinto & kidney beans. I spread a thin layer of homemade chili sauce across the wrap so it had a good kick to it!

Second pic was what I ate before my long run last night ~ rice, potato, soy balls, spinach and tofu. Seemed to work well

81295021_Vegantakeaway.jpg.732576661f9b7f9eb875981f4edaa70f.jpg

1497450601_Rawwrap.jpg.747ba4d7c628941a4ef13dfb995a3d0f.jpg

Tried out a new meal from the menu of one of our local vegetarian restaurants, also gave them a few cartons of oat milk so they can make me their 'bubble tea' using it.

Soy black peppered steak with fresh veges and coconut rice. Delicious

That was what I ate that before I ran my 14km last night. I found that meal to be very easily digestible and the energy I get from them it appeared to be both fast and sustained, which was useful.

659108300_Soyblackpepperedsteak.jpg.5c3f92892e6488e72c863c95072e4b71.jpg

Have you had to increase your caloric intake a crap ton running so much? I find that just by running 3-4 miles every other day I am eating like I am starving to death. Yesterday I resorted to dipping hermit cookies in peanut butter to hit 5,000kcal.

Rock slides scare the crap out of me. I see boulders strewn across the route off mountain am always glad I am not around when they fall.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Crazy week just got crazier...

I have been up in Auckland this week for a business conference then got some blood test results back from the docs yesterday (I get my bloods done yearly). So I got called in to see the doc for a quick checkup as it showed a few 'areas of concern'. Blood pressure was up this time round (150/100 whereas I am normally about 110/70) and my heart was showing signs of fibrillation and extremely irregular heart rhythms. I've been fast tracked to see one of our best heart surgeons next week, I have to have a couple of heart tests and be monitored for 24hrs. I asked about the ultramarathon I have planned for August, they said if I were to go ahead there's a chance it could kill me. Say what, can you repeat that please ?!

I was born with aortic stenosis and had a small heart attack 3yrs ago BUT despite all of that it was thought that if I stayed fit and healthy I'd probably be okay until my 50's before I needed to have a stent fitted Seems like that might come round a lot sooner, damn talk about a curveball.

I should know morre next week after I have seen the cardiologist and surgeon so I'll update then. MF

Took my frustrations out on a hill run this Saturday haha. Decent paced run/walk up to the top then flew back down in the dark, which made the descent somewhat technical haha. All up was 7.1km in about 45mins. Gonna try and better that next time around

You can see the final climb in the background of the photo here...

375121_10151505583608720_1733155020_n.jpg

And this one is another photo that I took whilst on the same run, this was looking back as I was ascending. You can see how it was starting to get dark, but the camera unfortunately didn't bring out the beautifully amazing sunset that happened that night (was just using the camera on my phone).

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=11508