Healthy vegan wilderness food

LisaB

I recently got a job that requires me to spent extensive time in the wilderness. I just finished my first trip and my diet, and therefore digestive system, were not optimal. I basically ate granola for breakfast, rice cakes with almond butter and jelly for lunch, and a can of black beans or some pasta for dinner. Not a lot of variety or healthy items like fruits and veggies because they can't be kept fresh out there. Anyone have any suggestions for healthy yet non-perishable foods I can incorporate into my diet out there to stay healthy? I have thought about adding a greens powder but they all seem to have wheat and/or barley grass in them and I am allergic to gluten. Also, any ideas for protein shakes out there besides just protein and water? Any ideas would be super appreciated!

Get a book on wild edibles for your area. You can actually get fat with all the food you can find it's just that most people don't realize it's food. Most wild edibles are higher in nutrients than food you find in the store. Well, books can kind of suck because sometimes the pictures are bad. I trust the internet more because I can print myself out high resolution pictures along with the description. Books are just helpful to know what you want to research.

The main thing is that you are 1000%, not 100 pct, 1000% sure you know what you are eating. There can be lookalikes that could kill you. Wild carrot and hemlock for example. Now that I've thoroughly scared you from eating wild edibles... It's perfect safe if you first do your research and you know exactly what you are eating. Most resources will list lookalikes for you.

Once you start researching wild edibles you'll find so much information your head will explode. I could easily make a salad every day just by what I find in my yard.