Pete's "getting healthy" progress

title says it all ..... i'm trying to get my lower back into working order, preferably to a point where it doesn't hurt just by lifting something off the ground or scooting down while during a photo shoot

don't really know what else to write lalalallaaaaalala today was sunny, errrrrrr i don't mind the sun unless there's a nice cool breeze, otherwise, GO AWAY SUN!!!!!!

back to point, tonight i got my jump rope out, put some old carpet on the concrete outside, and did probably around 200 jumps (yes that sucks) considering i haven't jumped in ages i'm surprised i got even that far

then i got on the ab wheel, which did a number on my back about a month or so ago, which put me out of commission. been doing that slowly for a few weeks and i seem to be getting better at it.

so that's it ......... the ultimate fighter is gonna be on soon, so i'm excited about that ...... watching the ultimate fighter (cause i heard danzig was on it) last season is actually one reason i got the ab wheel cause i saw it on the show, read some reviews about the product, and over did it when i bought it lol good times

*waves* l8r l8r

(stupid start to a training blog eh? but i don't care)

Edited by endcruelty

Hi endcruelty,

It's not stupid at all to start a training log. Getting your back healthy is one of the more important training goals I can think of.

As far as the ab wheel goes, and it hurting your back previously, I thought I'd mention this T-Nation article to you:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2074029

He outlines a method of progressive ab training, starting with planks, then ab rollouts using a stability ball, and so on, until you get up to using an ab wheel - I always skipped ab training, but since reading this article I've been more consistent, and it seems to be working. Anyway, I figured you might not know there were easier ab rollouts to do while working up to an ab roller, so thought it might be helpful. It sounds like you're doing ok with the ab roller now, but it can't hurt to know about some other options.

Best of luck with your goals,

Eric

did probably at least 400 jumps today (i kept aiming for a 100 in a row but messed up about 100x), yes that sucks, but i suck, so 400 is good for me

man do my lungs suck though, after about 3mins i started gasping for air lol how pathetic is that

i'm poor, plus i like to reuse stuff (im an eco nut) so instead of buying a new punching bag (for now at least), i'm going to take about 4 layers of old carpet and strap it together against a sturdy wall, and beat the shit out of it .... im calling it "the ghetto heavy bag"

• 3 weeks later...

Jumping rope: 30 minutes (rest for 1-2 minutes every 5 minutes)

Ab wheel: 20 (from the knees 1/2 way, working up to full standing)

Tire slams: 50 each side (with a stick, working up to a sludge hammer)

Burpees: 14

man i suck, but being completely lazy to getting here is quite good for me figure i'll just update this when i do something significantly different, considering i did 20 minutes jumping rope and about 20 ab wheels last week, and this today, that pretty significant, kinda

My back sux too. I have bad posture, my shoulders are weak, and I have what people call "wingy scapula".

I always have pain in my upper left shoulder if I stand for too long. I hope I can fix that. I hate my back.

I have pain on my left shoulder as well. Not sure what the source of it is, but I've never bothered to have anyone take a look at it. Maybe I should.

• 2 weeks later...

i did maybe 5 or so minutes today (maybe 10, i didn't really check) with the heavy bag, and boy was it fun. i wasn't just punching it like a 10 year old would, i was actually doing combinations and working on moving around the bag so it was work, but man is it fun as hell too. i would have gone to the speed bag, but being the fat ass that i am, the heavy bag kinda tired me out. hehe

still have to make myself a

and a Double End Bag, then i'm set

Ab Wheel: 15 negatives + isometrics

Burpees: 15

Punch Out Drills: 3 x 30 secs

Heavy Bag: 2 x 3 mins

Double End Bag: 3 x 1 min

Slip Bag: 1 min

Jump Rope: 5 mins (singles)

yes i'm weak and i suck i know that .... shut up i'll get better, haven't done much working out for years till now so i'm kinda lagging

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i was doing a little interval training during the winter, cause i can't breathe too much of this damn cold air or it begins to hurt, so i did a lot of on the spot sprinting. today i went to do some interval sprinting outside (first time running fast since trying to catch the bus a year or so ago lol) and only after 6 intervals i was fried. so much harder sprinting outside than sprinting on the spot in the basement lol ...... what a fat ass i am haha

Edited by endcruelty

I'm hitting outdoor track intervals tonight so I'll be sore too. U should try to be more consistent with your log it let's u see your progress and track your your work etc . Making it much easier to make improvements. It's hard sometimes but if u can't remember what your doing u can't change it.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Friday I tried to do some more running, but my groin was on fire. Ouch! So I ended up just doing walking/jogging intervals instead, with one sprint near the end. Over the weekend I could barely move my knees past my hips it was so sore.

But today, I'm feelin' good, and just completed my sprint intervals. Six in total, with a few 'side-to-side's (is that's what they're called?) and high knee running. All in all, good run. I did the sprints on grass today. Unwise of me starting this on concrete.

Now I'm enjoying my rice milk, orange juice, walnut, blueberry, banana, protein powder, and cucumber smoothie. Only a little cucumber though, didn't want it tasting too funky.

And always remember to stretch before and after every workout, plus it's always wise to do a warm up and cool down as well. Don't be like me and skip them like I did last time.

• 3 years later...

Wow, been a while since I updated this.

I blew out my knee in November, and adding more back issues, haven't been too active lately. But I turned 30 over the weekend, so figured no better time to get on the bike again.

I went for a ride to the library, stopped at a park for some scenery, picked up some food, went home to eat - so far did 11.5km. I felt great. So I got back on my bike and rode around the park, back to where I used to live, and back home - another 11.5km. 23km in one day - wtf?!?! My ass was hurting, but I didn't care lol I normally go to the library, groceries, and back home - and I'm completely wiped out from around 7km. So this was a nice morale boost

• 1 year later...
Did you start a new thread or where have you been??

-Dylan

I've been around lol Honestly, for awhile I stopped exercising due to laziness and other factors, but have been hitting the gym 4-6 days a week now

I'll do an update post just for you in a bit

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I'll post recent happenings, since someone did ask

1. Went back to a workout I did over 10 years ago, because it seemed to work for me back than. I did the traditional chest/tri's, back/bi's, legs, shoulders/forearms, rest. Later decided to switch it up a little. I read how Schwarzenegger would superset with chest and back exercises, so I decided to give that a try. Now I'm doing chest/back, tri's/bi's, shoulders/forearms, legs.

2. I've started jump rope again, unfortunately my right knee has not been kind ever since I injured it out 2 years ago. I make sure to land soft, but after a 14min jump, the knee hurts the next day, and still hurt about a week later. The other day I managed to do 16mins, the next day my knee is fine, but a few days later it starts to hurt. I'm definitely not jumping as much as I'd like because of that.

3. I have been biking a lot more too, easier on the knees I noticed. Went for a ride, got lost a couple times, ending up doing 20km (which is a lot for me, I am a fat ass and all lol)

4. My leg workouts are very light, mostly plyometrics. Burpees, jump squats, jump lunges, swiss ball squats, and wall squat isometric, etc. I'm slowly adding weight to my squats, but my priority is getting my hip and core area more flexible and strong before attempting anything crazy.

5. My heavy bag has unfortunately been in storage. I moved into a condo and can't really hang it anywhere, but can't seem to sell it either (I got a great deal and went through a lot to get it, so I'm a little attached to it).

6. I'm stretching a lot more than usual. I've come to the conclusion my knee and back issues are because of tightness and my body doesn't perform to it's full potential because of that. I'm mostly sticking with traditional yoga poses, pigeon pose is my favorite

7. Nutrition wise, I haven't been eating too well in the past, probably one reason I've become such a chubbo. A lot of bread, processed crap, eating heavy late in the day. But ever since I got back into the gym, I've been eating more clean. Usually around 1-2cups of beans and/or lentils with 1-2cups rice, protein shakes, apples, bananas - all daily now.

Began taking 5000iu vitamin D because the recommended nmol/L is 75-250, and mine was 28. B12 recommended is 198-615, mine was 458, but I'm taking 2000 mcg daily just for a little kick.

• 1 month later...

On Wed I did legs, which was mostly squat, sumo squat, lunges, wall sits, calve rasies, a touch of plyometrics, and afterwards a short bike ride.

The next 2 days, my calves, hamstrings, and groin were on fire. I don't think it's ever been this sore. I couldn't flatten my foot when walking, so basically I walked around on my toes. It was definitely interesting going to the toilet.

On Sat it finally healed up enough that I could walk, but calves still hurt with every step. Even today they're still a little sore, almost a full week later. Had no idea my calves would get this ruined.

• 3 weeks later...