• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SATURDAY 24th AUGUST

PRE-WO:

Large espresso

DEADLIFT NIGHT

BW: 139

40mins

Deficit DL's, single reps (using 33lb plates)

1PPS x 10

2PPS x 5

3PPS x 5

3PPS x 5

4PPS (308) x 1

4PPS (308) x 1

2PPS x 8

2PPS x 10

Bar Hangs

2 arms ~ 45secs

Left arm ~ 30secs

Right arm ~ 30secs

Stretching & foam rolling ~ 5mins

** Not sure how I feel about this session, suppose it was okay. Feel disappointed with pulling 308, felt heavier than it should have. But then again I maxed out at a little over 400 on deficits at my strongest, and that was after a good couple of years of training. This is only my second or third session pulling so I should probably be content. I think I'll be back to pulling 5PPS again in a few months.

Cheers guys !! Hitting the gym today, will just do some general work for reps.

Haven't been able to have the time or focus to train this week just with all of the business stuff that I have going on right now. Wife is away with our youngest daughter for 5 days now, just droped them off at the airport.

So I got a call on Friday from the receptionist of the cardiologist I want to see, she thinks I will be able to get my tests done with him within the next few weeks. I could have seen anyone but this guy is the best in Christchurch ~ Dr. James Blake. He worked in the States for a while and is very well revered in his field, so I opted to wait until I can get in with him. I think I am getting a fitness/treadmill test, Holter test and a ECG done. Hopefully I get the all clear to get back to competing in PL'ing, that would make my year.

I've already got my mind set on it and I have been slowly dropping weight. I want to be at a NZ standard for the 130lb class when I compete, there's records there for the taking.

FRIDAY 30th AUGUST

PRE-WO:

Large espresso

4 x hash browns, field mushrooms, grilled tomato, ciabatta bread, grated spring onion and beetroot

GENERAL UPPER *REPS*

BW: 134

40mins

Deficit DL's, single reps (using 33lb plates)

1PPS x 10

2PPS x 10

3PPS x 6

3PPS x 8

** These felt good, strong and comfortable

EZ B.Bell curls

55 x 10

77 x 10

77 x 10

EZ B.Bell OHP

55 x 10

77 x 10

99 x 8

Such a fantastic Fathers Day. Took Misa to Hanmer springs thermal resort for the day, we had a walk for about an hour up to the top of 'Conical Hill' and soaked up the sunshine...

1175666_10151682736033720_557072507_n.jpg

Then we headed back down into the village, had a bit of lunch and then spent a few hours in the hot pools. Drove back in the late afternoon, I can't remember a more idyllic weekend than this one. We both had a lovely day, she is starting to miss her sister a little bit now so it was really neat to watch them both on Skype tonight.

1175021_10151683618223720_763676156_n.jpg

TUESDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER

PRE-WO:

2 x slices multigrain toast, field mushrooms, spinach & watercress

Large espresso

CARDIO

60min walk around Hagley Park

BENCH + DL AFTERNOON

BW: 135

45mins

CONVENTIONAL DL's, no belt

132 x 10

220 x 4

220 x 4

264 x 4

264 x 4

308 x 4

330 x 1

PAUSED BENCH

BAR x 10

88 x 8

132 x 5

132 x 5

154 x 3

176 x 2

** All sets felt nice and comfortable, deads were strong and the last set of bench was easy.

My main goal, my main driver right now is to pull 418 (or more) in the 117-130lb class. This will give me a NZ record to my name. I've pulled that weight a few times before but I was 139-143, so right now I'm trying to build my strength back up whilst dropping weight. I also take confidence in the fact that I have never missed 418 in the times I have pulled it.

I have no doubt I can do it. And once I've done that the 1,000lb total will be next to go.

It's now or never ~ no excuses and no distractions.

Cheers guys! I've felt like I needed the rest of the week off after deadlifts, took a bit out of me. Will train this afternoon, thinking I mite increase the cardio a little to help with the weight loss, so will jog to and from the gym later today.

I got my tests scheduled with my cardiologist on Monday, fingers crossed! Have an ECG, a Holter test and a 30min exercise test.

Still got a bit of weight to drop ~ was 134 again this afternoon. I just have to drop down slowly so that my strength doesn't get affected, bit of a balancing act!

Good training session on Saturday, will write up soon. Did a quick 20min offroad run, paused bench working up to 154 x 5 easy reps and then box squats. Last set of those was 200 x 5. The bench felt easy and strong, I'm starting to think I might be able to have a crack at that NZ record as well. It stands at 105kg - last night I did 70 x 5 and that was really easy. I haven't even really started on a structured programme. Don't think it will be too long before I'm back up close to 100kg again

I went to the cardiologist yesterday and had my tests done, the exercise test was quite enlightening; the nurse told me, "Your maximum HR will be 180 so I'll take you near to that and see how you're feeling. Just warning you now that you will probably feel nauseous and some people even see stars."

I replied, "My maximum is higher than that. I regularly train above 190."

"I think you are probably mistaken there, we'll see." She barked back.

20mins later I'm sitting at 190bpm and chatting away to her, she must have been wondering what was going on. I called it a day when I hit a new max HR of 196. Knackered afterwards though.

Embarrassed to say I haven't trained at all this week, what with bouncing between our lawyers and accountant plus I have been trying to fight off a cold/flu. Generally feel pretty average and my resting HR the last couple of days has been over 100bpm; normally it sits anywhere between 45-60bpm, so I acknowledge it's best to rest up and not train until it comes back down

Embarrassed to say I haven't trained at all this week, what with bouncing between our lawyers and accountant plus I have been trying to fight off a cold/flu. Generally feel pretty average and my resting HR the last couple of days has been over 100bpm; normally it sits anywhere between 45-60bpm, so I acknowledge it's best to rest up and not train until it comes back down

This cold/flu thing seams to be world wide! I swear it's everywhere. Hope you feel better.

I went to the cardiologist yesterday and had my tests done, the exercise test was quite enlightening; the nurse told me, "Your maximum HR will be 180 so I'll take you near to that and see how you're feeling. Just warning you now that you will probably feel nauseous and some people even see stars."

I replied, "My maximum is higher than that. I regularly train above 190."

"I think you are probably mistaken there, we'll see." She barked back.

20mins later I'm sitting at 190bpm and chatting away to her, she must have been wondering what was going on. I called it a day when I hit a new max HR of 196. Knackered afterwards though.

Awesome!

Damn, it's Friday night now and I haven't trained in nearly a week. Have been fighting a cough & cold/flu, I think I am coming to the worst part of it now so kinda wishful thinking that I can sleep it off tonight.

Have been dosing up on Vitamin C and a few other things, feel like crap but soldiering on haha. If I feel well enough I will training tomorrow, we'll see. Bummer

It's always a hassle getting sick :/

Yeah, I've felt pretty awful. Bonus is that although I haven't weighed myself I am certain I have dropped down pretty quickly towards the new weight class I am focusing on

So "I'll be back" into the training soon, just kicked my cold/flu and came down with a sickness and shits bug. Today is the first day of feeling close to 100%, so I'll hit the gym tomorrow. Just moved back into our house after the earthquake repairs, looks great. Nice to be home as well MF.