Dylan Kasprzyk's Brooklyn Training Journal

C.O.

Had a good discussion with a friend that recently went to a health, nutrition and fitness event. It was about breakfast foods, how the idea of what to eat for breakfast has been ingrained in everyone that its weird to eat not typical breakfast foods for the first meal of the day. Also how this one particular woman, unfortunately I forgot her name starts here day with food with a purpose, for energy, and so she starts her morning with vegetables.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been drinking too much beer, not tons but just more regularly like 3 or 4 nights a week I'll have a couple, I don't think its good for my abs haha. Also I'm not eating enough greens lately.

Also been drinking too much caffeine in the form of green tea. I need to learn more about caffeine. Anyone reading this that has any knowledge please pass it my way. It seems coffee is always the culprit. Green tea I have heard has several health benefits. I still feel like drinking too much caffeine even from green tea causes negative effects to my head and perhaps my body as well too I'm not sure. I need to do some research.

Today is a day to get my curls on. Preacher and hammer. Also a swim day if the wait isn't too long.

Went on a 4-hr urban foraging tour with wild man Steve in Central Park yesterday. Pretty awesome. We found all kinds of edible plants and brought quite a bit home and cooked with them. Field garlic and wood sorrel that has a great lemony flavor. I'll post a thread with info.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are even in Lancaster, PA, home of lots of Amish, check out The Seed. Its an awesome vegan cafe, great food, good vibe, and they make their own super delicious kombucha.

If you are ever in Acadia, Maine, they have some of the best wild blue berries and they are abundant.

Two great trips I took recently and found some really good food.

Going to get back into leg workouts this week. Haven't played on a soccer team in a few months and want to get back into it soon. Going to watch Chelsea and Inter Milan play in Jersey tomorrow though!

• 2 weeks later...

NYC Restaurant week which actually lasts like a month is awesome. The only hard part is that you get to choose from 3 or 4 choices from each of 3 courses and if you aren't going to a veg specific place you may have only one or less choice. So this has been a delicious losing battle but the best solution i've come up with is inviting friends out to a veg restaurant for restaurant week so then Im not so limited on choices. Maybe it will open some of their minds into trying more plant based dishes as well.

Been slipping at the gym down to once a week last couple of weeks, had some good hikes in though. Gotta get back up to 3 days if I want the work to make any difference though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the urban foraging tour was great. I'll need to refresh my memory before I go out and forage again without a guide though. Its amazing how much foraging you can do in an urban park in nyc though.

My main issue with fitness progress is inconsistancy. Once or twice a week just doesn't lead to any progress, I know.

Played outdoor soccer Wednesday on a friends team, it was a playoff game for them. Scored a header goal in the 3rd minute off a perfect cross all I had to do was aim. Then the other team came back scored 2 goals. We tied it up in the last few minutes 2-2. Then in extra time a heart breaking free kick was awarded and we didnt clear it properly and they managed to scrap in the winning goal.

I want to focus on getting more sleep so that I don't have to rely on caffeine to survive at work. Doing pushups in the mornings on days I dont go to the gym, hoping that will amount to something or at least lessen the progress lost inbetween workouts.

• 3 weeks later...

New outdoor soccer season started last week. We tied our first game 1-1.

Getting the gf to come out running. She hates it but feels better afterwards. Any other suggestions for exercise couples can do together. We are hikers but there is a season arriving in between hiking and snowboarding season that we need some activities to enjoy together.

Forcing myself to hit the gym tonight.....aaaaafter I catch up on breaking bad. Going to do arms, shoulders, chest and back, possibly abs too a little.

Eating not super healthy, I blame wedding season.

Game 2 we won 3-0, I had 2 assists including an epic give n go to my homie amanda (its a co-ed team).

Eating too much shit food but awareness is key right, getting back into coconut milk with chia seeds (either pudding if you leave it in the fridge long enough or a kinda shake like drink if you just leave it in the fridge for like an hour or 2.

Today's a rest day with only push ups and planks at home. Tomorrow its back to the gym for more upper body and back work.

Always good to add a W under the belt. Did I ask you what position you play? I was always left side defender. I really miss playing soccer, but I think this town is too big to find a league that is not super competetive. I don't need to be getting beat up or stepped on with screw-ins anytime soon.

What beers have you been drinking lately? I tried some Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest the other day which was absolutely delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that firestone beer gluten free? Im not gluten free, just curious, I thought I heard it was. I havent tried it though. Pumpkin beer is back, I am a fan, but I like the ones that taste like pumpkiny beer not the ones that takes like pumpkin candy. Dogfish head punkin ale is good.

Ha, im in NYC and there are plenty of social leagues where its not crazy competitive and you wont get hurt. Im sure you can find some, try googling social league soccer or inter mural in your area.

I play pretty much everything except keeper in these lower leagues that I have been playing in recently. I miss futsal, I want to get back on a team. But for this team Im on I mostly play midfield.

Going to see what happens if I run the 21 floor stairs at my gf's apt tonight, see if I get any complaints. Im guessing no one will notice, everyone takes the elevators anyway.

New food combos: Sunflower butter and hempseeds and agave in a warm pita.

Coconut water mixed with vanilla vega.

Nutella and banana sandwhich (unsure if nutella is vegan, im not that strict)

Man, I love fall beers. We went to Madison, WI for my birthday this past weekend, where I promptly gained about six pounds of beer weight. New Glarus is nearby, which makes ridiculously awesome beers, but only available in Wisconsin. I'm not sure about the Oaktoberfest being gluten free, but if you can get your hands on a bottle of their Sucaba, I guarantee you'll be pleased. That is one beastly beer. In fact, if you check out their website, they have some awesome looking super high abv beers, if you are into that kind of thing.

I should definitely look into some leagues here. I'd love to get some action in like that. It would definitely help me get more cardio, and up my endurance. Can't remember the last time I put in a solid 90 minutes.

Just fyi - Nutella Ingredients: sugar, palm oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, reduced minerals whey (milk), lecithin as emulsifier (soy), vanillin: an artificial flavor. Bummer, because that stuff is awesome. Looks pretty simple though, so maybe it would be possible to make some yourself?

Good luck on those stairs. If it's NYC, like Chicago, I doubt anyone would complain - and probably because they will likely think you are crazy.

Sorry Dylan, I wrote a big reply last night from my phone but it didn't post for some reason.

I love trying new or different types of beers, kind of a reward for the training and strict eating. Hope you have a nice weekend, easy on the nutella! I'll have to post up my version (I use oat or rice milk and carob instead of chocolate). Not too bad, edible anyway! Take care MF.

Sorry Dylan, I wrote a big reply last night from my phone but it didn't post for some reason.

I love trying new or different types of beers, kind of a reward for the training and strict eating. Hope you have a nice weekend, easy on the nutella! I'll have to post up my version (I use oat or rice milk and carob instead of chocolate). Not too bad, edible anyway! Take care MF.

Hey MF, haven't had a chat with you before, but now seems as good of a time as any... Have any suggestions for NZ beers that may be had in the US? What kind of stuff do you like?

Hey MF, haven't had a chat with you before, but now seems as good of a time as any... Have any suggestions for NZ beers that may be had in the US? What kind of stuff do you like?

Beer is the one thing I'm not super strict on in terms of meeting vegan requirements ~ if it does then that's a bonus. I quite often use a great site to find out what's okay and what's not, but usually my thirst for beer overrides it all lol http://www.barnivore.com/

Monteiths make great beer and I've been a fan of their stuff for years, especially their black beer and their premium range (which are stronger and come in bigger bottles, yay)...

540267_10151213923888720_1458425626_n.jpg

These are probably the two that I like from their normal range, the lager in the background of this photo is infused with lime so it's great to drink on hot Summer days...

417727_10150564092388720_311931311_n.jpg

The other stuff I like is just brewed by a couple of local breweries we have over here. I like my beer strong and dark... like my women !! Sorry to crash your thread Dylan, I'll be quiet now MF.

MF your joke was worth all the crashing, and I love beer so the crashing is definitely welcome!

Did you post that nutella substitute recipe yet?

Esquinchi thanks for your suggestions too, I have some tastings to do.

I just tried Raging Bitch by flying dog, I'm not a fan too bitter for my tastes. Supposed to be a hybrid between Belgium and ipa.

Wish me luck friends, soccer match in an hour trying to keep our undefeated season going, so far we're at 2 wins and 1 tie.

Yeah we won, we're now 4 wins and 1 tie, still undefeated and sitting in 3rd out of 15 teams.

Any of you northeast coasters that haven't looked into Wholeshare definitely should, they deliver local, organic groceries. My girlfriend and I coordinate a delivery to Manhattan once a month for about 20 friends, its pretty wonderful really. She and her friend just made this zucchini crust pizza with tomatoes, bazil and artichoke hearts that was delicious.

Heading to the gym tonight to do squats, lunges, calf raises, you know pre snowboarding season training.

Sounds like you have a solid team. Where do you snowboard? I grew up skiing in Colorado, but haven't been in ages.

Sorry, MF, for not responding to your beers - they look tasty! I'll keep an eye out for some at my local purveyor.

Have fun with the squats - I did lower body tonight as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Well in NYC the closest place to board in mt creek in NJ. Its super tiny, the snow is shit but they have a couple of great parks there. On the east coast Vermont seems to be the best. Did a weekend trip last year for the first time there and hit Mt Snow and Stratton, I liked them both. Nothing compared to Colorado or Oregon though. Went back to visit my fam and rode mt hood once last yr with my gf, it was her first time there and her first taste of serious powder. Hoping to ride oregon or washington once this december and we have trip to Breckenridge planned for March so we'll ride Breck and Vail this year.

I took a snowboard exercises class last week. Good stuff, a lot of bodyweight exercises involving having strong posture and form. Raised arms deep squats with toes against the wall, now that's a challenging one.

Tried a beer that was new to me, Blue Moon seasonal agave nectar ale. I liked it a lot, much better than the original blue moon.

We had our first loss this week for my soccer team. Playoffs start this coming week. top 8 teams of 15 got in. We finished 4th so we play the 5th ranked team in the first round. Then likely the 1st place team in the 2nd round.

Planned American style football with friends yesterday and feeling pretty sore today. Definitely different movements in the runs than in soccer and using leg muscles differently.

Nice dude. Snowboarding always intrigued me, but was so different than skiing the one time I tried; fell, a lot. If you are headed to Breck, I'd recomment Arapahoe Basin. Pretty local from what i recall, but still badass.

I tried Six Point's Sweet Action beer last night. A brown-cream ale. Pretty tasty. Havent tried the Blue Moon you mentioned. I should give it a spin.

Sucks for the loss, but I guess it cones with the territory. My old coach always said a 1-0 lead is the most dangerous in soccer. Probably hit your fast twitch muscles more playing football. Good for explosive power.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we got knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs 1-2 as the 4th seed against the 5th seed. Pretty disappointing.

I've been playing more american football and asked to play on a team in a tournament Thanksgiving weekend. Should be interesting.

Its back in the gym for more pre-snowboarding workouts. Im doing a lot more legs and back than I used to which I think is good for me in general. I'm also using the foam roller daily to do reverse sit ups and work on my posture.

For foods we had an experimental pizza night that involved things like sunflower butter and figs and we used spelt flower. We had some delicious test subjects.

Well we got knocked out in the 1st round of the playoffs 1-2 as the 4th seed against the 5th seed. Pretty disappointing.

I've been playing more american football and asked to play on a team in a tournament Thanksgiving weekend. Should be interesting.

Its back in the gym for more pre-snowboarding workouts. Im doing a lot more legs and back than I used to which I think is good for me in general. I'm also using the foam roller daily to do reverse sit ups and work on my posture.

For foods we had an experimental pizza night that involved things like sunflower butter and figs and we used spelt flower. We had some delicious test subjects.

Bummer about the playoffs, but the fig pizza sounds amazing. Care to share the recipe?