Jamesxvx Powerlifting Journal

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mf. Smashed out 225 for what could have been an assisted triple but I held back on a third rep.

Hit 315 for a solid triple squatting last night and was told my "hips coming up with my butt" is improper form and I should learn to squat properly before I have a lower lumbar injury from a PT. It's funny, I hate this dude ahaha.

Heading in for some arms and core work tonight to top off the week.

LOL, ask that dude how much he can squat to past parallel, then thank him for wasting your time.

I wish I did man. I only have a couple weeks left at this gym so I'm trying to not get kicked out haha. There's a national powerlifter that trains there though and she said there was a bet going on for when she punched him in the face. She was nice enough to fix my bench form for me haha

I don't know what it is with 'p.ts' and squat form but they seem to always have something to say! I'm so glad I train at home man otherwise there would be a bunch of personal trainers wondering around the isle of wight with black eyes baha

He's told me twice that I am going to have a bad lower body injury. It could be the fact that he works with a guy who always wears a belt, even doing cardio or that he literally tried to get me to squat fully on my toes for form. Guy is a goof.

Worked up to a 225 for a double yesterday on bench. I was really hoping for a triple, but not last night.

Really looking forward to getting some solid sleep in another month and not working outside 6 days a week.

I think I'll be trying a new routine next week. Throwing some of the things that have worked for me into something that combines methods I've looked into. Should be cool.

I've been doing 10 minutes of rowing at the end of each workout for conditioning. BW sitting at a leaner 180

• 2 weeks later...

Switched my training up again. Going heavy three out of four weeks was draining and I saw some spots in my form start to fall away.

Back on the cube method and very happy with the decision. Did my first day yesterday.

Highlights were: 1" deficit deads 345x8

4" block pulls: 415x3, 405x3

50 back raises with a 30 LB chain

Oly squats 225x3x8

Ham curls with a butt machine. Maxed out the butt machine because I can twerk.

Supersetted those for four sets working up to a max at 10 reps.

Feeling really good. Still sitting at 180.

Man am I terrible at logging things in the summer.

I hit some bench for reps today. Ended up knocking 175 for 8 solidly with no assistance from a spotter. Did some military press, band pressdowns, close bench, pec deck and some incline DB as assistance.

• 1 month later...

I had a couple of big course projects I had to take care of that was cutting into my training. No worries though, the brunt of them are done and I'm trying some new routines.

The add 50 to your bench so far has gotten me back up to my max from the summer which is awesome. I'll probably throw some cube style training in there as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Back at it again with another back at it post haha.

I've been training solidly all week. Planning on to hit a meet in March and then the CPFs in April. Throwing in some strongman training stuff this morning which was a lot of fun. Looking forward to hitting my old lifts and surpassing them.

Thanks man! It's been a rocky couple of months but I'm more motivated than ever.

This morning I did some Strongman style hybrid stuff for fun:

Tri pushdowns up to 70lbs for 25

DB Bench

40x10, 40x10, 50x10

Dips

12, 10, 10 supersetted with the tri pushdowns

Battle ropes

45 second sessions, as hard as I could.

Farmer's walk

2 plates on each handle, as many as I could.

October 19, 2013

Explosive squat work

Squats: worked up to 225 for 8x3 (1:30 rest in between)

Rev Band squats

Hit 315 for 5 on these. Wanted to see where I sat and I'm very happy with that.

Oly squats

185x5, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5

Hack Squat

160x15, 160x12, 160x10, 160x10

Ham/ leg curls

60x4x10

Felt really good today, very happy with where I'm heading.

Accessory work, October 20, 2013

MP

barx10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 115x8

bicep curls

30x15, 40x15, 50x10, 60x10, 60x10

Face pulls

75x10, 75x10, 95x10, 100x10

incline Rows

135x10, 135x10

Lat raises with front raises

20 +15x10x3

Calf raises

Weight- I don't know a bunch of plates haha

x20

Incline sit ups with 25

Foam roller

October 23, 2013

Deadlift Explosive Work

Deads

135x10, 185x10, 225x8, 275x6, 315x8x3 with 1:30 rest in between sets

BB shrugs

135x12, 225x12, 275x12, 275x12,

Snatch grip deads

225x12, 225x12, 225x12

Oly Squats

95x10, 135x10, 185x8, 225x8, 225x8

Lat Pulldowns

130x4x15

Sledge and tire flips

2 minutes of sledge work with 10 tire flips after. Repeat three times.

been running the cube for the past couple of weeks now.

Didn't post my last couple of work outs but my highlights are as follows:

Incline bench 155x8, and a bunch of drop set shit I don't have the memory for. Incline bench is by far my weakest bench variation, and I think if I work on it, I can increase my bench weight.

Did some bottom up squats today with 185 for 4 sets of 5.

heavy double squats at 275. for doubles. Felt strong. I relaxed on my first set too quick and the weight literally shot me down and I had to recover. That shook me a bit but everything was great after that. Doing a lot more core work for stabilization in my lifts. I think this is holding me back a bit and I slacked off on it in the past.

Finally counting my macros instead of the guessing game.

My gym is awesome and encourages chalk, so that's huge.

Deadlift strength is back. I'm focusing on some accessory work to keep my leg drive right up until my lockout.

Repped out 245 for 15 on squats a few nights ago. plus 135x50 for Oly stance.

Bench is surely and slowly coming back. Always been my weak point so it's being trained harder