Rob's High Intensity Training Log

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, I hate that stuff too, one of my work colleges drinks about 6 cans of it day and barely eats anything, he runs around work all day like a banshee on speed, and the smell of that stuff first thing in the morning is even worse...boke. My fav Red Bull event was that guy that dropped from space at a zillion mph, that was something else:)

Currently in the process of taking a short layoff due to my lower back playing up last Thursday, i have a constant bad "toothache" like pain in my groin area due to one of the bulging disc's in my lower back pressing on a nerve, unfortunately very little can be done for it, all i can do is try not to irritate it and medicate myself, thankfully its easing. On my return to the gym i'm going to have't to change things from what i'd planned to do, I've been mulling over some idea's for a month or so now anyway, but after also weighing up the risk vs reward, i going to abandon the heavy consolidated training for a slightly different approach.

When i look over some of my old training journals, compound movements have always delivered best results in terms of increased strength and power, but when it comes to hypertrophy, targeted isolation movements, that provide resistance in the fully contracted position, combined with high stress techniques such as static holds and rest pause have (for me) provided superior results. Given my current situation, i'm going to began employing the latter again.

The movements i planning on using....

Chest - Pec Deck Flye Machine

Lats/Rear Delts - Chest Supported Hammer Row Or Incline Bench D-B Row (unfortunately i don't have access to a pullover machine)

Shoulders - Machine or D-B Lateral Raise

Traps - Shrugs

Low Back - Weighted Back Extension

Biceps - Underhand Chin

Triceps - Shoulder Width Grip Chest Press

Legs/Hip - Leg Extension

- Leg Curl

- Thigh Abduction and Adduction

- Calf Presses

Abs - Seated Crunch Machine

I'll continue to use compound movements for Biceps and Triceps (though the range of motion will be limited or Nil), additional curls, press-down's and Extension's have done nothing for my arm development over the years. If i do decided to leg press or static squat, they'll be performing in low stress pre-exhaustion fashion. I'll be performing these movements to how John Little recommends in his Advanced Max Contraction Training Book, ie over a 3 way split.

Back in the gym this afternoon after an 11 day layoff...

Chest / Back

1. Pec Deck Flye - 120kgs x 9 reps to failure

supersetted with...

2. Chest Press Machine - 110kgs x 4 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 negative's

3. Underhand Chins - BW (250lbs) x 3 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

4. Chest Supported Hammer Row - 130kgs x 8 reps to failure + drop set of 100kgs x 8 reps to failure

5. Weighted Back Extension - BW + 20kgs x 2 sets of 10 reps NTF

Really enjoyed today's workout, weights are good and my back feels a lot better. One of my work mates joined the gym today as well, he's a bit of a "cheater" (likes to swing the weight, rather than lift it), but he works hard none the less. No doubt we'll have some more good solid workouts together. In 6-7 days i'll take my next workout...which will be legs:)

Hey Ross,

Yes mate, i'll try and get something up by Easter. Also, though am in a different gym, am still in touch with Mr N.I John Martini, in the summer i'll try and get a video with him at the gym am at now.

Storms not too bad mate, the mainland must act like a kinda wind breaker lol, lots of flooding through. How ya getten yourself mate?

Took another week off training there, back at it tonight, decided not to use pre-exhaustion and just go with the compounds, as they deliver a much greater metabolic stock, i'll just be careful..

Tonight's workout was...

1. Seated Leg Press stack x 13 reps to failure

2. Seated Leg Curl 75kgs x 11 reps to failure

3. Underhand Chins BW + 20kgs assistance x 8 reps to failure

4. Seated Chest Press 120kgs x 7 reps to failure

5. Hammer Row 130kgs x 10 reps to failure

* Used the rush factor, only enough rest to move from one machine to the next (felt like i was gonna boke a couple of times lol)

* Each movement was performed with super strict form, 2-3 second positive, 2 second hold in the contracted position (on exercises 2 and 3), and then 3-4 second negatives.

* Just went to failure on each movement, no forced reps, negatives etc, didn't feel like i needed any additional set extenders.

* Total workout time was around 10 or 11 minutes (well, the gym was a little busy, or it would have been 8 or 9 minutes)

Next workout will be next Monday or Tuesday

Hey Mate,

The same applies to J-Reps, as with them your still using a full range of motion, but your just preforming them in zones/stages. I've personally dropped them from my training (time being) after mulling them over and weighing up the pro's and con's. There's just some facts i cant overlook, the first being that muscle fibers are recruited solely by how much resistance they are forced to contract against, the problem with J-Reps is they force you to use considerable less resistance than your capable of fully contracting against.

The second reason is because i prefer to avoid the weakest range of motion were the potential for injury is greater. Now, this is not to say this technique is without merit, it is, but just not in the why i thought. They can be salted in to a HIT routine as a "low stress" high intensity technique to your program to help manage stress long term.

Hope this helps

Rob

Tonight's workout...

Seated Leg Press

Underhand Chin

Chest Press

Hip Belt Calf Raise

Weighted Back Extension

All for one set to failure....

Don't know how long more i'll be able to post on the forum, i've been doing a lot of thinking, and i'm complicating on going back to consuming animal products, i know this may not go down will with some, however as i mentioned before, i became a vegan for health reasons (not political). After a recent health check, i'm at a point were i (and my doctor) believe my health would benefit from the consumption of some animal products.

Edited by HIT Rob

Tonight's workout...

Seated Leg Press

Underhand Chin

Chest Press

Hip Belt Calf Raise

Weighted Back Extension

All for one set to failure....

Don't know how long more i'll be able to post on the forum, i've been doing a lot of thinking, and i'm complicating on going back to consuming animal products, i know this may not go down will with some, however as i mentioned before, i became a vegan for health reasons (not political). However after a recent health check, i'm at a point were i (and my doctor) believe my health would benefit from the consumption of animal products. Its something i'll have to think long and hard about.

Don't you dare stop posting on here mate! you're too valuable to this little community, eating animal products wouldn't get you banished or anything haha you're part of the furniture bud! Some people on here aren't entirely vegan or even vegetarian so don't sweat it man, I certainly wouldn't think any different of you to each his own

Hi Ross,

Thank you for the support mate, that means a lot to me, there are quite a few here that inspire me too my friend:)

To elaborate, since becoming vegan a little over a year ago, i recent blood panel showed my IGF-1 and test levels have dropped (considerably), and my bad cholesterol levels have slightly increased (how in the hell). The plan is to return to being a lacto ovo vegetarian (NO meat, fish or poultry) again for a few months and then having another blood panel done to see what the crack is. The good thing is my mother-in-law's boyfriend owns and lives on his own non profitable farm, the animals are very well look after, and none are sent for slaughter. So from him i can get organic free range eggs, grass fed raw milk, cream and even his homemade butter. When i say i am not vegan for political reasons, that's not entirely true, i love animals, and i hate to see any harm come to them, breaks ma heart, i'm just not one for going out and waving a banner.

That being said, my wife and i (we're cat lovers, though we love all animals) are currently working with a group of people to save hundreds of stray cats that live on the seafront of our home town (facebook Bangor seafront cats), we're helping to rise money to get the cats cared for and homed before the local council gets their way and has them put down. Thankfully there's a lot of support and the future of the cats is looking good.

Best

Rob

Big Rob, long time no speak, just a little msg to say im with Ross on the you not possibly not posting here. Regardless of what your eating your info is valuable, you also make the info easy for every one to read/understand. plus, wherewould i go for my free online personal training? hope all is good with you mate.

mike

Just back from the gym...

Did Back & Chest

1. Underhand Chin BW + 20kgs x 9 reps to failure

2. Seated Chest Press 105kgs x 8 reps to failure

3. Chest Supported Hammer Row 120kgs x 11 reps to failure

4. Pec Deck Flyes 110kgs x 9 reps to failure

Though i love the idea and simplicity of FB training, it always quickly becomes to metabolically challenging for me, so for that reason am back on a split routine (lets me maximize the intensity of effort). Lowered the resistance tonight, focusing on reducing the cadence of end rep further, so lighter weights, but slightly more time under tension, am also working on relaxing my face and neck, breathing, and making sure not to grip handles to tight (all of which elevate blood pressure further and detract from the working musculature). Next up, Legs (Not looking forward to time under tension on the seated leg press)

Yesterdays leg workout (trained fasted)

1. Seated Leg Press

2. Hip Belt Calf Raise

3. Weighted Back Extension

4. Static Ab Crunch

Performed one all out set to failure on each movement (bar the back extension), slightly lightened the load and went for a slightly longer time under tension on the leg press. Next up will be upper body, with an emphasis on the shoulders and arms. Diets going well, i reintroduced some eggs and dairy back into my diet this week, just very small amounts. Feel good:)

Tonight's workout...

1. D-B Lateral Raise

2. Rear Delt Flye Machine

3. Negative only Chins

4. Negative only Chest Press

5. D-B Hammer Curls

Performed just one set to failure on each movement, the negatives were brutal, me arms are bloody sore lol

Next up legs again