Get Ripped or Die Trying

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooooo! Whack that pizza on the recipes thread dude!

You like walking dead? Fuck yeah!!

In my opinion with your training like this you won't necessarily lose any momentum but you might not be gaining at the highest rate available. That's not really a bad thing though, personally I find it very interesting to do full body training and it keeps me guessing not a fan of kettle bells though hahaha

Thanks mate, I've been worrying about losing muscle mass with all of the HIIT stuff I've been doing, and the low calorie diet I've been following. Kettlebells, yeah man, I could see not liking them at all. Sometimes I feel like most of the exercises incorporating them could be done with dumbbells instead. Makes them feel more like marketing, and I hate marketing! I'll put the pizza recipe up. Walking Dead is awesome! Though we are only in the beginning of the second season - so no spoilers please! hahah

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a spiderman press up is where you assume a normal press up position and then bring one leg up by your side and do a press up in that position, then swap legs.

Well that's what I call a spiderman push up. I get people doing them at kickboxing in our warm ups sometimes walking across the floor!

Also, The Walking Dead is great. Been reading the comics for years and am enjoying how they're adapting them to the TV.

Your exercises are crazy and look pretty intense!! I never seem tohave the time or the energy to do something as lengthy and as full on as them!

Hope the whole move and neighbourhood thing is settling down now too.

Correct on the spiderman pushup/press up (silly Brits haha!). Those are pretty tough, but sometimes I feel like the dive-bomber/yoga pushups are harder; definitely require more control, and breathing focus. Thanks for the compliments man. The sessions I do during the week never go beyond 45 minutes, and then those on Saturday stretch no longer than 75 minutes total. After all that I pretty much have to sit still on the floor for about 20 minutes. Didn't know that Walking Dead was a comic series - that's really interesting. I'll have to look them up next time I'm around the comic shop.

man your workouts are massive! you are full of energy, and that pizza is awesome!

ps i think rick is dying

Thanks man, I try to be fully energized - and full of pizza - at all times! haha. See above RE: Walking Dead. I hope Rick is ok! haha

Yeah the comic started at the back end of 2003 I think. I remember a couple of mates getting me to start it in about 2005 and it's the only comic series now that I manage to keep on top of really (even then I only pick the trades up, not an individual issue person). The comics are fantastic though and MUCH better than the TV series I feel. Believe me when I say that in the comics, NO ONE is safe! There have been moments where I've literally fetl sick with some of the stuff that's happened in them.

I'm usually in the gym for about 45-60 minutes. But I think I need to sit down a little longer before I shower and leave though if I'm going to go before work as this mornign I got showered and dressed and was still damp afterwards. Not a nice feeling.

PS. I shan't comment on what I think's going on with Rick right now.

Activism

Late last year I asked MF if there could be an additional tab/topic on the forum for activism. The subject might have slipped his mind given his new business venture, but I thought I could at least start out here on my blog.

Anyhow, in addition to the myriad animal rights organizations in the world, Mercy For Animals is one that I follow closely, and feel they make a serious impact, not only with their leafletting, but also their investigative procedures. You can read more about them here http://www.mercyforanimals.org/.

They have plenty of petitions that can be signed online, and offer events to attend, or even host yourself. Do me a small favor - sign some of the petitions. They don't spam.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014:

Core Day

(Repeat Twice, Rest 45 Seconds Between Rounds)

1. Frogger Jumps x 20

2. Scissor Crunches x 20*

3. Bicycle Abs x 50

4. Weighted Toe Touch x 15 @ 25lbs

5. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15*

6. Decline Reverse Crunch x 12

7. Side Raise x 25 @ 35lbs

8. V-Hold x 30 seconds

Nothing special today, and probably should have done three rounds, but I haven't trained core exclusively for a couple weeks. Hopefully I'll get some DOMS out of this (otherwise I secretly feel the time was wasted). Food has been good last couple days, though I seem to always fall short of my 1800 calorie mark (more like 1650 - 1750). Am I eating too little? Maybe that is slowing my progress? I'd be up to eat more, but I hate seeing the scale creep up. It's just as annoying as gaining four pounds for every cheat meal I consume, and then spending the next week cutting it off. Hope you boys had a good day/night. Working with the trainer tomorrow, so hopefully is interesting.

Thursday, February 20, 2014:

Trainer Day

0. Burpees x 60 seconds

1. Incline Bench - 2 x 8 @ 115lbs (bullshit! I could live much heavier)

2. Pushups - 2 x 12

3. Front Squats x 30 seconds @ 70lbs

4. Back Extension x 12 @ 35lbs

5. Sled Push x 200 feet @ 90lbs

6. Plank x 60 seconds

7. Sled Leg Press - 2 x 12 @ 275lbs

8. Squat Jumps x 30 seconds

9. Deadlift - 2 x 12 @ 100lbs (again, bullshit, as I was doing much heavier, like 145)

10. Pushup w/ Renegade Row x 6 @ 25lbs*

11. Stability Ball Pushup + Knee Driver x 20 each

12. DB Chest Press + DB Chest Fly x 10 ea @ 50lbs

13. Curls + Crossovers x 12 @ 50lbs

14. Curls x 12 @ 50lbs

15. Delt Raise x 12 @ 50lbs

16. Bent Over Row x 12 @ 50lbs

17. Kettlebell Swing x 30 seconds @ 35lbs

18. Front Raise - 2 x 12 @ 35lbs

I think that's it. It looks like a lot, but the weight is so light its not even challenging. This dude doesn't know what he's doing, and I'm basically pissed that: (1) it takes forever to get there now; (2) I have 22 sessions left; (3) I'm probably losing strength; (4) even if i tell the dude the shit is too light, he doesn't pick up on my needs; and (5) it takes forever to get home. There's a gym literally down the street I can't wait to join once this shit is over with. Feel like I should buy up some heavy db's in the meantime. He told me to take a few days off, but that's fucked in the head. I'm going in on Saturday, and hitting the shit hard, and heavy. I left pissed, annoyed, and feeling like I'd kill someone if I had to do one more bicep curl. Fucking glamour muscle bullshit. Ironic - my elbow is hurting as I'm typing this. Does anyone know what joint pain typically means? It means over-fucking-use of the joint. That's what it means. Anyhow, I have to go and get my shit ready for tomorrow.

Shit man you could do with investing in a punching bag to wail on to haha! ditch the trainer man he sounds like a douche! I would heavily recommend getting some heavy dumbbells to train with at home if not to train with all the time but to come back to if you don't feel you got enough training in at the gym.

Does your new house have the room for it?

Shit man you could do with investing in a punching bag to wail on to haha! ditch the trainer man he sounds like a douche! I would heavily recommend getting some heavy dumbbells to train with at home if not to train with all the time but to come back to if you don't feel you got enough training in at the gym.

Does your new house have the room for it?

Dude I have a punching bag! haha perfect! I'm going to have my wife take some of the sessions - that way we can burn through them, and I can switch gyms. Hopefully the new one doesn't have any startup fees or other bullshit like that. Seems like we've been burning through money lately just living, and not buying anything fun or whatever. I do need to buy some heavy DBs. I could do so much with them here just having them handy. That will have to wait a bit though I suppose, given all the other stuff we need. Have a good weekend buddy - drinking some beers tonight!

Saturday, February 22, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. DB Bench - 3 x 10 @ 140lbs

2. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

3. DB Chest Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 65lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 295lbs

5. 24" Box Jumps - 3 x 12

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 90lbs

7. Assisted Pullup - 3 x 12 @ 15lbs Assist (felt pretty weak on these)

8. Decline Bench - 2 x 12 @ 145, 1 x 12 @ 135 (also felt weak here)

9. Farmer Carry - 3 x 200' @ 90lbs

Felt great to get in on a Saturday, and bonus because the gym wasn't all that busy. So fucking happy I didn't seem to lose much strength over the past couple weeks of not training heavy weights. However, I will say that I have come to the realization that it is absolutely fucking necessary to incorporate heavy weight training with all of the HIIT stuff, and calisthenics. That is, of course if you want to be more than just aesthetically "fit" looking, and not both strong, and fit. Which would you rather? Anyhow, I'm going to insist on more strength training as I finish out these sessions, and then start developing a more balanced approach myself at home.

Anyone have any thoughts on this: incorporation of strength, and calisthenics? For example, when balancing, which of the two deserves more attention? Is a 1:1, Strength:HIIT ratio acceptable? Is 2:1 better, or the reverse? Maybe someone has a solid resource for learning more?

Making a pizza tonight, and having a few beers. Have a good weekend!

Hey man, how's training this week? Surviving round 15 of polar vortex alright? I got in a solid bike ride last weekend but I just can't wait for it to warm up around here... Stay strong!

Hey, training is ok so far. Left shoulder has been giving me some trouble recently, probably because of all of the activity surrounding the move. Seriuosly, this cold has got me way down. I can't even seem to get up in the morning, and then once I'm out the door, even the walk to the bus is unbearable. I heard it is supposed to snow all weekend too . I need to get my hands on a bike for this summer. Haven't had one since 2005, when mine got stolen. Thanks for checking in - you stay strong too!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014:

Trainer Day

Full body workout today, comprised of the following (generally):

1. Burpees - 60 seconds

2. Squat - 2 x 10 @ 315lbs

3. Incline Bench x 12 @ 70lbs

4. Shoulder Raises x 12 @ 35lbs

5. Sled Push x 200' @ 90lbs

6. Curls x 6* @ 35lbs

7. Concentration Curls x 4* @ 35lbs

8. Walking Lunge x 12 @ 70lbs

9. Front Squat x 12 @ 70lbs

10. Battle Rope Waves x 30 seconds

11. Battle Rope Slams x 30 seconds

12. Pullups x 15

13. Hi-Lo Woodchopper x 12* @ 30lbs

14. Front Raise to Delt Raise - 2 x 30 seconds @ 7.5lbs* (this was "strength based therapy" for my shoulder pain)

15. Front Raise x 30 seconds @ 7.5lbs* (see above)

16. Plank x 120 seconds

17. Back Extension x 12 @ 45lbs

18. Pushups x 30 seconds, as many as possible (I made it to 31)

19. Pushups on Medicine Ball x 30 seconds, as many as possible (I made it to 29)

20. Kettlebell Swing x 12 @ 35lbs

Another workout that is all over the place. I really miss focused, orderly training. I feel like when doing these, I'm barely scratching the surface on all muscle groups, and never experience much gain from the training. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyhow, I'm at work now and need to get some stuff done, so this is a short post. Training core tonight.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014:

Core Day

Took a cue from my buddy Ross here and did one of those MadBarz workouts; specifically the Medium Level - Frank's Killer Abs. I modified it a bit to make it more difficult (sorry Ross - haha!), and came up with the following:

Three Rounds - No Rest Between Exercises, and 45 Seconds Rest Between Rounds

1. Decline Leg Raise x 15 (sitting backwards on a declined bench, grip the top with both hands, legs straight, raise them up)

2. Mountain Climber x 25 (this is the same as their "Half Burpee")

3. Jacknifes x 15 @ 25lbs (same as the "Laying Down Raised Leg Feet [sic Foot] Touches" but holding a 25lb DB)

4. Bicycle Abs x 50 (I hate Mountain Climbers, or Half Burpees)

5. Right Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15 (same as pictured, but planking on the side not working)

6. Left Side Plank w/ Oblique Crunch x 15 (see above)

7. Mountain Climber x 25

Honestly should have done four rounds, as this took about 20 minutes. Usually I cound numbers 5 & 6 as a single exercise, so maybe add one extra thing in next time. However, I did notice a solid burn throughout the entirety, so I'm sure I'll feel this tomorrow!

On a different note - BIG NEWS! MY GYM IS CLOSING!!! That means....? I'm getting out of my training contract! Yesss! Couldn't have come at a better time either, as I was starting to worry a bit about money. Will be nice to have a significant chunk of change refunded to me. Moreover, I am now free to train as I please! Back to regimented, planned, and fucking orderly training! So excited!

Going for legs tomorrow. Here's the training map, and here's what I had for dinner (bulgur, silver zucchini, edemame, peas, sriracha, and some mango salsa)

FranksKillerAbs.jpg.c57075fa7f9d237b6849a7fbf4953061.jpg

861061408_2.26Dinner.jpeg.8b776c5d92c532187cecd0a8b26af529.jpeg

What the fuckkkk! Hahaha I find the medium workouts look so tough! I think it's because I've never really done a lot of the exercises lol! Maybe il give a medium ab workout a try

Frank is so awesome! Was watching some of his vids recently, it's ridiculous! Good news about the gym then dude are you moving to a better one also?

Saturday, March 1, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. 200 Pushups (4 ways, 4 sets of 50: wide, diamond, staggered, incline)

2. Delt Raise 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

3. Incline Row 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. DB Squat 3 x 20 @ 70lbs

5. Good Mornings 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 12 @ 60lbs

7. DB Pullover 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

8. Bicep Curl 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

9. 100 Dips across 3 sets

First day of absolute freedom from moving, or doing anything unrelated to my own house! FUCKING THANK GOD! I have a bunch of stuff to do today anyway... Ironic, yes.

Anyhow, to tell you Ross, I might not even join another gym for a while. There is one a bit down the way from our new house, but it is $50/month, and I'm not sure I would use it enough to justify the cost. I'm pretty sure I would only hit that place up maybe once or twice per week, so I don't think that's worth the price tag. Maybe in a couple months when the weather gets better - and I can jog up there and back (it's about a mile away). But, if I can make solid strength gains with bodyweight exercises, and the weights I have, why the hell would I join a gym? It's not like I was going there to do powerlifting anyhow, right? So, as I said, I'm not doing shit today - so let the relaxing begin!

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Leg Day

1. Front Squats - 3 x 20 @ 70lbs

2. Squat Jumps - 3 x 20

3. Angled Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 15

5. Close Stance Straight Leg Deadlift - 2 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Single Leg StepUp - 2 x 10* @ 50lbs on 24" box

Not going to lie, I felt like crap after all those damn jumps. Kind of destroyed the rest of the session for me. Felt queasy, and possibly low blood sugar. Hence, I wimped out on my final superset Probably doesn't help that I woke up at 3:45AM today, and could not fall back asleep. Actually, fell asleep on the train today on the way home from work. Kind of feel like sleeping right now haha. Simply cannot get enough fats lately. All I want to do is sleep, and eat almonds. Anyhow, I wanted to elevate my blood sugar after training, so I had some kiwi, and ...... some almonds haha! I'll be back at it tomorrow, probably core, or maybe some upperbody stuff.

Your workout was probably a combination of not enough and like you suggested, possibly compounded by a nutrition factor. But hey we all get days like that and I am sure you will make up for it on your next session.

Keep up the good work with your training though, even the one above looks pretty decent on paper! Oh and don't eat too many kiwi's... we're endangered lol.

Your workout was probably a combination of not enough and like you suggested, possibly compounded by a nutrition factor. But hey we all get days like that and I am sure you will make up for it on your next session.

Keep up the good work with your training though, even the one above looks pretty decent on paper! Oh and don't eat too many kiwi's... we're endangered lol.

Ahha, yes, I'll refrain from Kiwi consumption! I'm sure you're right about my weakness yesterday. I'm also going to take advantage and blame the endless winter we are experiencing. Too many days of -45*F weather with the wind chill. Can't wait for spring, and then summer, as we plan to attempt a raw diet. Going to eat plenty of kiwis then haha!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. 3 Way Pushups - 3 x 25 each (wide, incline diamond, and divebomber)

2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

3. 3 Way DB Bench - 3 x 12/20/15 @ 70lbs (Incline Fly, Decline Wide Grip, and Flat Bench Close Grip)

4. Close Grip Curls - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

5. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

6. Dips - 3 x 40

7. Concentration Curl - 3 x 10* @ 25lbs

8. Incline Wide Pushups x 25

Just had to get in an even 100 pushups for the day haha! Felt pretty good today while training. No sapping of energy like yesterday, and probably because I slept pretty well last night (not perfect though). Keep wondering whether I should join up at another gym, or invest in some weights. Either way, I'm not really in the position to be spending a lot of money on things right now as pretty much every penny is going into buying things for the house. Anyone want to come help me install a fence? You can get in a solid upper body workout lugging wood, and concrete around! haha.

Anyhow, it's been nearly unbearably stressfull lately, and I've been feeling pretty down in general. A lot of big changes going on too, many of which are completely out of my control. The Mrs. and I are trying to figure out where we would like to be, long term, despite just buying this house. Often times I feel as if it was a bit of a mistake overall. Hopefully it will pay off though, financially speaking. One of those crazy things happening is that I nearly lost my job to a layoff, as it were. The judge I'm working for is being transferred to another division; one where she doesn't have a staff which includes someone in my position. I was kind of at the whim of the new incoming judge, and whether she would want to keep me on. Thankfully she did, and the trouble passed in a day. Still, it was unsettling to feel so vulnerable; and to possibly put the entire burden of our financial obligations on my wife. Unfortunately, most of what we can do at this point is dream about the future. I'm kind of in a transition period in my career (and at the beginning of a new career, really), so it is very difficult to just pick up and move anywhere. Ugh... That's enough venting about non-training related stuff. Sorry if I tend to get personal on here, but hey, I guess this is my best form of a blog.

Core tomorrow.