3. Side Plank w/ Crunch x 15*

4. Russian Twist x 15 @ 25lbs

5. Decline Reverse Crunch x 15

6. Side Bends x 20* @ 35lbs

7. Jacknife x 15 @ 25lbs

8. Bicycle Abs x 50

9. Weighted Toe Touch x 12 @ 25lbs

10. Back Extension x 15

Good and quick training today. I find core training to be the easiest, though certain exercises on my back (regular situps, etc.) always make me feel queasy. I've read it could be an inner ear thing. I try to keep my time in that position minimized (except for when I'm busy doing something else ) Anyhow, really looking forward to taking tomorrow off, as I'm just pooped in general.

Had our first real scare today with the house, as the burglar alarm was tripped about 2pm. Got a call from the alarm company that the motion sensor tripped. Pretty sure it was a cat moving a curtain across the sensor (which was installed too close to the curtains). I'll move the stupid thing over a couple inches, and that should solve the problem. Shitty thing was that the cops never showed (probably because I canceled the call - even though I was told they "cannot be canceled, once called"). Good thing was that it only took me 10 minutes to get home from work when taking a cab. Oh well, all is well that ends well, I suppose. Now for some dinner!

See you Saturday - maybe for 250 pushups!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday, March 8, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. BB Bench - 3 x 12 @ 155/145/145lbs

2. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 125lbs

3. Close Grip Curl - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

4. Squat - 3 x 12/15/15 @ 255/135/155lbs (explanation below)

5. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

6. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 145lbs

7. Close Grip Bench - 3 x 12 @ 105lbs

8. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

9. Hammer Curl - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

Ok, so first order of business... I've been tossing the idea around of either joining at the YMCA down the street for $50/mo, or building my own gym here at home. Well, I've made the decision to......

BUILD MY OWN GYM - FUCK THE Y! Seriously though, I found some weights on Craigslist, along with a bench/squat rack, and pulled the trigger for $250.00. Included was a flat bar, ez grip bar, the rack w/ pins, and 2 of each of the following weights: 45, 35, 25, 10, 5, and 2.5lbs. Steal of the year! Most of the olympic plate weights around here for about $2 per pound, so that would be a total of $490.00 for the weights alone, and probably another $250 for the rack/pins/barbells/barbell stand/weight tree. So, it looks like I saved myself about $500 today! WOOT! But here's the short end: I'll probably need to get more weights soon, especially for squats.

Speaking of squats, my numbers were all messed up today given that: (1) I haven't done heavy squats in about a month; (2) I don't have a mirror in my gym to check form, or re-rack; and (3) I don't have one of those pad things for the bar. With the first set of 255, my traps were totally killing, and probably bruised. Anyhow, I opted for lower weight, higher reps, and then an increase on the final set.

Either way, training at home with my own weights was the shit! Now I never have to lie down in some filthy dirtbag's sweat pool! Haha. Anyhow, it's a cheat day here - so that means pizza, and beer! Have a good weekend boys (and girls).

Oh yeah, here's the setup!

NewGym!.jpeg.55c467c6c3e63b8ee516f9c6a673c4ed.jpeg

Building your own gym,, VERY cool. I am jealous !!

So what pizza did you eat and what beer did you drink?..

Thanks buddy, I'm excited to have some solid gear. Pizza last night was standard veggies and daiya style cheeze (peppers, onion, mushrooms, zucchini "pepperoni"). I posted a recipe here somewhere under the Recipes section. As for beers, I had a few All Day IPA's by Founders, some Cross of Gold (golden ale) by Revolution Brewing (local to Chicago), this Flanders Red called "Stupid Sexy Flanders" from Sun King (I think from Indiana - pic below)... Then, today we drove up to Milwaukee and bought a shitload of amazing beer from this brewery called New Glarus - check out the score!

Must get in some solid training tomorrow to work some of these calories off!

StupidSexyFlanders.jpeg.59228bee812682568562c1983e83067a.jpeg

Beers!.jpeg.cda60712982fef7a5556fd766e8fd752.jpeg

Never tried cherry beer, in fact I have never came across it anywhere before. Sounds interesting though MF.
Oh man, with this, I can guarantee you are missing out!

New Glarus is one of the things I miss the most since moving to Illinois... looks tasty!! And that home gym set up sounds excellent!
New Glarus is one of the things that make me seriously consider moving to Milwaukee - or even Madison.

I love cherry beer!
I'll let you know how this one is, if I can bring myself to drink it soon!

Monday, March 10, 2014

Upper Body Day

(Perform as circuit, resting 90 seconds between rounds)

1. Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 12 @ 125lbs

2. T Bar Row - 3 x 12 @ 125lbs

3. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

4. Incline Diamond Pushups - 3 x 25

5. EZ Bar Curls - 3 x 12 @ 75lbs

6. BB Squat/Flip/Press - 3 x 12 @ 115/90/90

Fucking loving my weight set!!! Did this as a circuit, in about 25 minutes. Had to power through as my wife was making dinner, and I was strapped for time. Even though I felt kinda queasy at the end, I could tell this was a decent pump for the day; arms, and shoulders are tired. Probably didn't rest long enough between rounds. Those rows are awesome, but I need something a little more sturdy than a hand towel as the grip; though the towel was probably good for grip training haha.

Got this in today because we have a fence guy coming tomorrow to give an estimate. Not sure I'll be able to train tomorrow, as I've never had a fence estimate before, and I have no idea how long it will take. If I do train tomorrow, it will probably be core... or maybe legs haha.

Soup, and collard greens for dinner - man that was tasty!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014:

Core Day - Surprise...

1. Scissor Crunch - 2 x 20*

2. Weighted Decline Situp - 2 x 15 @ 25lbs

3. Side Plank w/ Rotation - 2 x 20*

4. Incline Reverse Crunch - 2 x 15

5. Side Bends - 2 x 20 @ 45lbs

6. Bicycle Abs - 2 x 60

7. 3 Way Plank (side/side/front) - 2 x 60 seconds each side (so, 2 x 3 min 3 way plank)

Only ran through 2 sets of this circuit, as it was pretty late when I started up for the evening. Fence guy? Yeah, he didn't show. I called him, left a message. He called back a few minutes later with some bullshit story about trying to call - whatever dude... I read some more of the reviews on his work and found that I shouldn't be surprised by this. I think in the past I would've been mad at him for wasting my time, but now I realize I gained because: (a) he's clearly a moron; (b) I saved my money from going to a moron; and © he probably would have done a shit job anyhow. So, the search continues.

Been asking a lot of big questions lately.. Probably entering into some kind of midlife thing... Legs tomorrow.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Plate Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 90lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

3. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

4. Side Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Bulgarian Split Squats - 3 x 12* @ 60lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 16

Not going to lie, this doesn't look like much, but it kicked my ass. Deadlifts were a struggle. Really need to focus more on those, so I'll probably double up on them for the next few weeks. I want to build some solid strength, and then go back to HIIT based training. I mean, I did just get these weights, so I should put them to use! The sumo squats were a nice change up from using DBs, and since I don't have a squat pad yet, I could focus more on form, and getting nice and low. Had some soup, raw broccoli, hummus, and a few pieces of frozen mango for dinner. Ate a little more than usual, as I'm sure I burned quite a few calories doing this. No joke, I can already feel those deadlifts in my traps - yikes!

Back tomorrow with more upper body.

Thursday, March 13, 2014:

Upper Body Day

1. Decline Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 15 @ 90lbs (should have gone heavier, but it was a bit awkward getting into position)

2. Aussie Pullups - 3 x 15 @ BW

3. Delt Raise - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

4. Dips - 3 x 33/34/33 (100 total)

5. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs

6. Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

RAHHH I love my new weights! Best purchase ever! Had to do upper body today, as promised, because my legs are sore as hell from yesterday. Also, quite pleased to see it possible to add in a 5th day of training for the week (to come on Saturday - even if I sleep in a bit). Took some progress pics, though I'm a little shy to post them up... Here goes. I would really like to cut the remaining belly fat, and some of that loose skin from when I lost so much weight (94lbs total, still not entirely comfortable with the number). Anway, diet has been pretty steady, save for a cheat day where I take in more like 3000 - 3500. I also make cheat day my biggest training day, so as to avoid any serious damage. On average, I gain/lose about 2-3 pounds per week, most likely water weight, anyhow.

Here are some brief stats:

Height - 5'7"

Weight - 154

BF - 17%?

Daily Calories - 1700 - 1900 (macros are something like 22g fat, 250g carb, 55g protein)

Training - 4/5 times per week, mix of strength and hiit - more strength at the moment

Pretty sure my diet sucks balls... I'm sure if I increased my protein intake it would resolve the calorie issue, and even cut the rest of the body fat. However, pretty much any protein powder totally jacks up my stomach, along with many processed foods. I could add in more lentils (or lentils period), but even those come with a higher caloric price. Perhaps trade some of the apple consumption (like 3/day) for a higher protein source... But I LOVE APPLES! haha.

1102503806_Progress1.jpeg.023f5604a2c3643436868e4a774ca7a4.jpeg

1932670542_Progress2.jpeg.6553de37396d37f711ccec402ce8ed5f.jpeg

Thanks Ross. Andi must be talking about Liefman's kriek. Haven't tried that one myself. If you are feekig brave, I'd ask your local purveyor for a wild ale, or sour (Duchesse Du Bourgogne is delicious), or a flemish red, or oud bruin... I could go on haha! Thanks for the props mate. I'm loving my new gear. Allows me to train more often, and at my leisure. No more wasted time!

Rossco, you can buy kriek (cherry beer) in Tesco. I can't remember the name of the brand, but I think the bottles are entirely wrapped in paper so they stand out. Really good stuff.

Oh shit! Yah I've tried the raspberry kriek! My friend had the. Cherry one in Amsterdam and the batman thought he was gay..

That's good to hear Chris since you've got the gear at home you should film some workouts

Yeah think it's Liefmanns that Tesco usually stocks. There used to be a couple of pubs in my city here that used to do it on draught. It was always expensive for a pint, but worth every penny!!

The shop over the road from me at home now stocks alcoholic dandelion and burdock. This may get tried tonight!

I like the fact you've got your own little gym at home. I toy with the idea of it from time to time, but a: I don't have the space and b: when I had weights at home, I never used them. That was before I really got into lifting though so maybe if I got some now I'd stick to using them a bit more? I do like the thought of being able to do more lifting though.

Saturday, March 15, 2014:

Saturday Pump

1. Bench - 3 x 10 @ 155lbs

2. Supinated Row - 3 x 12 @ 110lbs

3. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

4. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs

5. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

6. Wide Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 110lbs

7. Aussie Pullup - 3 x 12 (last set with feet elevated)

8. Decline DB Bench - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

9. EZ Curls - 3 x 10 @ 70lbs

10. Decline Leg Raise w/ Pulse - 2 x 12

11. Bicycle Abs - 2 x 50

12. Side Plank w/ Rotation - 3 x 15*

Skipped the last set of the final round as I was getting hungry haha! Let me just say, again, that buying these weights was the best decision ever - EVER. There are few things better than training when I want, for however long, and using my own equipment, of which I take good care. Anyhow, I'm feeling great today... The weather is nice, I'm eating more, and lifting more. So I'll be watching progress closely. Did a little extra today since I'm planning on getting into some of the delicious beer I bought last weekend. Hope to try at least four or five different kinds - if I can last that long haha! Have a good weekend everyone. I'll probably be back on Monday.

Monday, March 17, 2014:

Day of Rest

Slept poorly last night, thinking about going to the dentist before bed. Woke up around 1:45am, stayed up til nearly 3:30am. Got up for work at 6:00am... Does not make for a good day (or mood) of training. I guess since I got in five days last week, I can do with an extra day off this week(?). Stressing over income taxes, and the most recent budget proposal from Obama, which could utterly wreck my finances with respect to my monthly student loan payments. If you are an American, with any significant student debt, and paying under the Income Based Repayment ("IBR") program, I would highly recommend you phone your Congress-person, and plead with them to strike down the proposed budget - or at least the part affecting the IBR program.

In just a few words: the proposed budget aims to force married borrowers to combine their income in order to determine their monthly payments; whereas, currently, they may be considered separately. Not only will this increase your overall monthly payment, but it will also negatively affect your ability to finance other "life events" like buying a house, car, having a baby, etc. The proposed budget fundamentally destroys the aim of the IBR program itself, which was to enable fair management of often massive debt, and enable economic stability and recovery by allowing borrowers to pay off their debt, as well as to stimulate the economy by being able to also purchase a home.

In addition to this development, and other facets, the budget seeks to place a cap on forgiveness of loan balances for those working in (low paying) public air jobs, under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. Therein, the budget would cap the amount which may be forgiven at the end of the borrower's IBR term (typically 10 years) at $57,000.00. For many people, myself included, this could mean that I would be slapped with having to pay taxes on approximately $150,000.00 of "earned" income in that particular year. This would have the effect of falsely increasing my income, and putting me, and thousands of others, into further debt - directly with the IRS. Many people went to school, and incurred this debt, based on their expectation of forgiveness - AND - in exchange, have taken otherwise high earning degrees, and applied them for the public good - at a fraction of their worth.

I was a fan of Obama, until now. This is absolutely egregious, and placates to his corporate masters. The end run will not only serve to diminish America's recovery, by: (1) forcing new debt; (2) prohibiting stimulation through purchase of millions of foreclosed homes; (3) cause mass exodus from desirable government, and public aid focused jobs; (4) flood the already saturated private job sector; and (5) cause private employers to advantageously lower wages, due to heightened supply of workers, and current demand.

In short, this is placing a bubble, on top of the already strained student loan bubble. Not to mention, accelerating the rate under which the Federal Government earns profits from student loans; which they came in at over $40 BILLION in 2013. There are only two private companies who exceeded this figure for profits: Exxon Mobil, and Apple.

The Federal Government should not be in competition with private, for profit, organizations in the race for top earnings!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014:

Upper Body + HIIT Day

1. Burpees - 3 x 15

2. Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 115lbs

3. T-Bar Row - 3 x 115/120/120lbs

4. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

5. HIIT Break - HighKnees x 50 / Buttkicks x 50 / HighKnees x 50

6. Aussie Pullups - 3 x 12 @ BW

7. DB Cleans - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

Felt good to get back to training after a day off for rest. The HIIT stuff kicked my ass, and I could tell my cardio has been suffering from lack of activity over the past few weeks. I'm kind of bummed by what I would consider stagnant progress. Despite the pics I posted last week, I kind of feel like I've looked like that for a while now. I've definitely been hovering around the 154 - 156 weight range for a solid month or so. I would like to either maintain weight, or drop a couple pounds - but mostly in an effort to drop body fat. I'm still in the 16-18% BF range, and would like to see that around 10%. I'm considering adopting a raw diet, and maybe even 80/10/10 raw. I can't help but admit that the prospect of eating as much fruit, and bags of greens as I want seems really tempting.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'll train core tomorrow, but we have another fence guy coming for an estimate, so it might be a shorter session.

First of all... Aussie pull ups! Hell yeah! My fave exercise haha

In regards to not feeling like your body has changed much in a while, partially that could just be psychological mate, no one that lifts ever really feels bigger or big enough and the same god for body fat loss, so don't sweat it! You've made such killer progress!

Good luck with the raw stuff mate.. Hats off to you, I could never do that ahha

Hope all is well your side of the water matey

First of all... Aussie pull ups! Hell yeah! My fave exercise haha

In regards to not feeling like your body has changed much in a while, partially that could just be psychological mate, no one that lifts ever really feels bigger or big enough and the same god for body fat loss, so don't sweat it! You've made such killer progress!

Good luck with the raw stuff mate.. Hats off to you, I could never do that ahha

Hope all is well your side of the water matey

Haha Aussie pullups are the shit! I've been doing them since my pullup bar doesn't really fit our doorframes - but I found one last night that fits!

I bet you're right about the psychological stuff. I weighed in this morning, and was down to 154 (157 yesterday). I'm definitely guilty of being impatient with respect to progress. I'll take it from you, and wait it out a bit more - but don't blame me if I'm complaining again in a few weeks! ahha

Dude you could totally do a raw 80/10/10 diet! I'm looking forward to eating more!

Otherwise, things are well here. Hope you two are well also buddy!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014:

Core Day

(Repeat Twice, Rest 30 Seconds Between Rounds)

1. TRX Pike x 15

2. Side Plank w/ Crunch x 15

3. Decline Negative Crunch w/ Pulse x 15

4. Bicycle Abs x 60

5. Hanging Knee Raise x 15

6. TRX Oblique Knee Driver x 12*

Needed to get a quick set in today before the second fence appraisal came in. Kind of thought I don't need to spend an hour training just core, since it's only a small set of muscles, compared to training all upper body. So, I'll try to keep these short like this in the future. Man, I'm hungry! Also, fences in this area are so damn expensive! Time for some noms. I'll be back tomorrow for legs.

Thursday, March 20, 2014:

Leg Day

1. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

3. Straight Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 110lbs

4. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

5. Single Leg StepUp - 2 x 12* @ 50lbs

6. Lunge Jumps - 2 x 16

As you can see, I crapped out there at the end. Just wasn't really feeling it today; kind of tired, a little groggy, sneezy, and, frankly, a little bored. I want to make sure I am the one training, and not the training working me out.. If that makes sense. Eating was good. Found this cruciferous blend at Trader Joes (mix of broccoli, kale, brussels sprouts, and red cabbage, I think), that is pretty good to add in for some crunch. Although my favorite thing as of late are these big frozen chunks of mango from Trader Joes. I'll just stand at the counter and eat them right out of the bag - I could eat a whole damn bag!

Back on Saturday for full body pump.